Job: Chief Wash, P-4 Job in Nairobi, Kenya
Under the guidance of the Chief Child Survival & Development, responsible to manage UNICEF’s Water and Environmental Sanitation Programme with a view to assisting the Government of Kenya develop appropriate low cost sustainable rural water supply and sanitation systems within the framework of the UNICEF assisted Country Programme of Cooperation with the Government of Kenya with reference to the MDG and PRSP goals
Advanced university degree in one of the disciplines relevant to the following areas: Public Health, Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Geology, Hydrology, Sanitation Engineering, or a field relevant to international WASH related development assistance. Additional training in Health Education or Communication for Development (Programme Communication), an asset. Eight years of progressively responsible professional work experience in the UN or other international development organization, national government or the private sector. Field work experience. Background/familiarity with Emergency (preparedness and response) and the IASC Cluster approach. Fluency in English and another UN working language required; working knowledge of the duty station is an asset
Key Expected Results:
- Supervise the activities leading to the preparation of the Situation Analysis for programme development and ensure periodic updates by monitoring and analyzing the social, political and economic trends in the country as they affect women and children.
- Formulate programme goals and objectives, and develop strategies and implementation frameworks. Coordinate preparation of the Country Programme Recommendation and related documentation. Analyze, evaluate and consolidate programme documentation.
- Provide guidance and direction for programme planning, implementation and analysis through ongoing consultations with various units, especially on general policy direction and control mechanisms.
- Represent UNICEF in meetings with senior government officials as well as multi-lateral and bi-lateral agencies to advocate and promote UNICEF programme goals and objectives, orient major partners on organizational policies and procedures. Participate in tripartite and other meetings with Ministries responsible for programme/project development and review, and follow-up on implementation of recommendations and agreements.
- Establish programme workplan, monitor compliance and provide training, support and guidance to programme team to ensure objectives are met. Identify human resource requirements and ongoing training needs.
- Approve and monitor the overall allocation and disbursement of programme funds, ensuring the funds are properly coordinated, monitored and liquidated in accordance with the programme budget allotments (PBA). Take appropriate actions to ensure optimum use of programme funds.
- Prepare relevant programme reports required by management, Executive Boards, donors, budget reviews, programme analysis, annual reports, etc.
- Deputize for the Deputy Representative. Support overall management through participation in management meetings to review major office operations, human resources, management, programme and administrative budget management.
- Plan, develop and implement specific sectoral programme(s) by working with Government and other partners, preparing required documentation, work plans, and programme management, monitoring and evaluation mechanisms.
- Review and evaluate the technical institutional and financial feasibility and constraints of programmes/projects in collaboration with Government and other partners. Undertake field visits and surveys to monitor and evaluate implementation, identify problems and propose remedial action. Identify or decide on alternative courses of action to accelerate/improve programme delivery and ensure capacity-building and programme sustainability.
Communicates effectively to varied audiences, including during formal public speaking.
Able to work effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
Sets high standards for quality of work and consistently achieves project goals.
Has good leadership and supervisory skills; co-ordinates group activities, ensuring that roles within the team are clear.
Analyzes and integrates diverse and complex quantitative and qualitative data from a wide range of sources.
Identifies urgent and potentially difficult decisions and acts on them promptly; initiates and generates team- and department-wide activities.
Translates strategic direction into plans and objectives.
Quickly builds rapport with individuals and groups; maintains an effective network of individuals across organizational departments.
Demonstrates, applies and shares expert technical knowledge across the organization.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation. If you want a challenging career while improving the lives of children around the world UNICEF, the leading children’s rights organization, would like to hear from you.
Visit www.unicef.org/about/employ to apply to this and other vacancies, quoting E-VN-2011-000819. Applications must be received by 17 June 2011. Please note that only candidates who are under serious consideration will be contacted.
In the selection of its staff, UNICEF is committed to gender balance and diversity without distinction as to race, sex or religion, and without discrimination of persons with disabilities: well qualified candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
For latest jobs in Kenya and Kenyan Jobs always visit http://kenyajobtube.blogspot.com/