The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organisation with the exclusively humanitarian mission to protect the lives and dignity of victims of war and internal violence and to provide them with assistance.
It also endeavours to prevent suffering by promoting and strengthening International Humanitarian Law and universal humanitarian principles.
The ICRC Somalia delegation in Nairobi is seeking for an experienced and motivated person to fill the position of:
SecretaryUnder the supervision of the Assistant (head of Secretariat office), the Secretary provides general and secretarial support to the Management Team (Head of Delegation, two deputy heads of delegation) and contributes to the smooth and efficient flow and sharing of information within the Units in Nairobi and its offices in Somali.
Act as a focal point for training and support to staff based Somalia offices for the organization and management of information sharing tools.
- Supports Management team in organizing priorities of the delegation, act as a facilitator and ease decision making process ensuring a coordinated and consistent work flow;
- Maintains calendars and schedules for the Management team in coordination with the Assistant, participates to internal meetings and takes minutes of meeting;
- Organizes external meetings / missions in Somalia and establishes independently priorities and provide adequate follow-up;
- Develops and maintains active professional network and facilitate relationship with stakeholders in particular those based in Somalia, keeps the contact database up to date;
- Drafts routine diplomatic correspondence and other communication in English;
- Translates simple documents in Somali to English and vice versa, when necessary;
- Compiles and finalizes summaries and regular reports;
- Prepares specific files for the Management team (internal briefing files, maps, documents for external contacts);
- Manages, updates and further develops various information and listing on internal databases, in coordination with the Assistant;
- Trains the secretaries based in Somalia offices with regular visits, on the information management tools and procedures, contributes to the development of their skills;
- Supervises and supports the staff based in Somalia offices on the information management and record management system, and implements whatever changes are needed to ensure optimal performance;
- Performs general secretarial duties independently, including distribution of documents, preparation of diplomatic pouch for the Headquarter, filing, organize Somali visas for staff travelling to Somalia, office supply, equipment orders, photocopying and scanning;
- Replaces the Assistant when absent.
- Diplomas in office management. Any other assistant-relevant training is an asset;
- Excellent knowledge of secretariat’s work, minimum (3) three years of professional experience in similar position;
- Proficiency in spoken and written English, Somali and Swahili;
- Very good knowledge of computer tools, in particular Office 2013 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Lotus Notes;
- Interest and skills for training of users;
- Ability to work in an independent and disciplined manner; organizational skills; ability to set priorities and to use initiative;
- Flexibility and willingness in managing daily tasks;
- Ability to handle sensitive information with all required confidentiality;
- Team spirit and the desire to help establish a positive dynamic in the unit.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Interested and qualified persons, with the required experience are invited to submit their application to the Head of Human Resources on the below address, before 19th of September 2014.
(Indicate the position title on the subject line).
Please include; Detailed curriculum vitae, copies of certificates, current and expected remuneration and contact details of three referees.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
International Committee of the Red Cross,
Somalia Delegation, Denis Pritt Road,
P.O Box 73226, Nairobi, 00200,