Country and Base Assignment: Kenya – Based in North Horr, Marsabit County
Duration: 1 year(with extension possibility)
Start Date: 16th September 2013
Solidarités International is an international humanitarian organization which provides aid and assistance to victims of war or natural disaster. For over 30 years the association has focused on meeting three vital needs - water, food and shelter - by carrying out emergency programs followed by longer-term reconstruction projects.
Solidarités International is currently present in Africa (Central African Republic, South Sudan, Kenya, Somalia, Mali, Niger, Mauritania, Chad, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ivory Coast), in Asia (Afghanistan, Thailand, Bangladesh, Myanmar and Pakistan), in the Middle East (Syria and Lebanon) and in Haiti.
In Kenya and Somalia, Solidarités international is implementing a WASH and Food Security/Livelihood assistance program to support populations in south central Somalia and north Kenya), and drought and conflict affected population in central and south Somalia.
The projects are managed from the field offices with the support of the coordination office in Nairobi.
We are seeking for an available qualified person to fill the Field Coordinator Position for our North Horr Base.
The Field Coordinator is responsible of the overall conduct of the programs in each and all of its components: representation, management, activities, needs evaluation, logistics, security management and administration.
S/he manages his/her team to achieve the humanitarian objectives as defined per the proposals and according to SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL principles.
The Field Coordinator is currently responsible of two projects implemented by North Horr staff:
1/ “Water, sanitation, and hygiene programme to reduce water-borne diseases for the most vulnerable communities in rural areas of northern Kenya”
2/ “Improving the drought resilience of populations in Northern Kenya”
Org Chart Position (reporting and functional relationships)
Line manager: Deputy Country Director
Line report: 2 Program Managers, 1 Logistic and 1 Administrator Officers
Functional report(s): The entire North Horr staff
Note: this list gives the framework of your activities but it is not exhaustive. You may be asked to complete other duties.
The security management and context analysis is under the responsibility of the Field Coordinator.
He/She will be expected to:
- Monitor the security situation (by gathering of information about the context of the mission, incidents, political changes or any information related to security) in the North Horr region and ensure the senior management (Country Director and Deputy Country Director) are continually and regularly updated and informed of developments with implications for staff safety and for program implementation.
- Coordinate with the senior management on staff movement, relocation and/or evacuations.
- Supervise allocation of resources (employment, renting of cars, contracts) regarding security issues.
- Supervise the organisation of distributions (criteria of selection, security management).
- Participate in the regions security meetings.
- Ensure good relationship with the local authorities and every actor involved with security issues in the region (NGOs UN Agencies etc...).
- Brief every newcomer to the compound about the security rules and about the context.
- Organize the sharing of information with the team.
Human Resources/ Administration
- Ensure that performance evaluations for all staff are conducted on time, and review all evaluations to ensure quality and consistency.
- Ensure that all SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL staffs are in compliance with the organization’s mandatory reporting policies.
- Monitor and recruit the staff necessary to the project’s implementation in accordance with SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL standard practices.
- Ensure SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL rules and regulations are adhered by all the national staff.
- Propose updates concerning HR package according to the needs (salaries per diem, training, break).
- Ensure that stress management procedures are in place and are respected.
- Anticipate and plan human resources requirements.
- Organize and help to solve team conflicts and make sure working conditions are as good as possible.
- Oversee the logistics support operations in coordination with logistics staff, including procurement (both local and through Nairobi), stock management, asset management, vehicle operations, communications, equipment maintenance and repair (including communications and computer equipment).
- Initial task focus will be on the implementation and training of SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL logistic procedures in collaboration with the Admin / Log.
- In this particular context of the starting of a new project, pay attention to the details of the base setup in link with the Admin / Log.
- Ensure compliance with SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL and donor logistics policies.
- Ensure accurate staff movement planning.
Finance and Accountancy
- Oversee the financial management of field office operations by the finance, admin/logistics and program staff, including cash management, issuing and tracking advances, ensuring complete and correct use of all finance forms; timely notice to Nairobi of cash transfer needs.
- Ensure compliance with SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL and donor finance policies.
- Pay attention to the right implementation and training of SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL administrative procedures in collaboration with the Admin / Log.
Representation / Communications
- Represent SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL in dealings with local authorities (administrative, sector and security officials as well as traditional elders), other implementing agencies, partner organisations and other stakeholders and make sure good relations are maintained.
- Coordinate SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL program activities with relevant officials and other humanitarian agencies and maintain a pro-active relationship with them.
- Assist in the preparation of regular reports (and participate in meetings) to keep partners and stakeholders informed of SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL activities.
- When relevant, represent SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL in the field meetings with the donors.
- Responsible of the preparation of weekly reports with the participation of the project team.
- Prepare and finalise the monthly Project Implementation Plans (PIP).
- Prepare donors reports (interim and final reports).
- Document and report any security incident to Nairobi immediately.
- Focal point for all the communication with the Deputy Country Director.
- Direct management of all North Horr project staff.
- With assistance from the Deputy Country Director, ensure quality and timely implementation of all grants by program staff; oversee the development of detailed project work plans (monthly and weekly) for all programs.
- Organize the planning and supervision of the operations staff work.
- Ensure that performance evaluations are conducted regularly and job descriptions are relevant and updated for the staff under his responsibility.
- Responsible for the development of work plans with the other staff.
- Ensure that the principles and SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL Charter are known, respected and put to action.
- Organize the formal and informal communication in the team.
- Ensure that SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL Management tools are properly used.
- Assist in identifying new program possibilities in collaboration with field and Nairobi-based program staffs.
- Assist in the development of new proposals by program staff as required.
- Oversee, in coordination with Admin / logistics, that all budget expenditures in area of operation and ensure they are allowable and allocable according to SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL and donor regulations.
- Review monthly budget vs. actual expenditure reports with field staff, and make recommendations on the basis of these and ensure that appropriate action is taken in a timely fashion.
Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E)
- Ensure appropriate M&E activities are carried out regularly by operations support staff and assist the DCD in overseeing program M&E (data collection & analysis, monitoring of project progress against established work plans, monitoring of established indicators and utilization of results to inform program design).
- Responsible for the progress and the quality of the program.
- Monitor the humanitarian context in the area and identify population needs.
- Responsible for making sure that SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL activities are relevant to the humanitarian needs of the populations.
- Contribute to the integration of program activities to create coherent, quality and complimentary programming.
- Participate in workshops to establish and monitor annual operating plans for the strategic plan.
- Responsible to development of lessons learnt on strategic approaches (procurement, payment, recruitment …).
Qualifications and experience:
- Masters degree (or Bachelor degree with 5 years of work experience) in International Relations, Social Science, Business Administration, Agriculture, and Engineering or related.
- Training or specialization in a technical field (Project management, WASH, Agriculture).
- Minimum 5 years increasingly responsible working experience in Project Management and in the NGOs sector
- At least 2 year of field experience with an NGOs operating
- Experience in proposal and report writing.
Skills and competences:
- Proven managerial record and experience in managing large staff and programs
- Previous experience in working in insecure environment and Security management
- Advanced proposal and report drafting skills required.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines
- Well organized and able to prioritize under stressful situations and tight deadlines
- Ability to perform assigned tasks with minimal support
- Excellent communication, coordination and negotiation skills
- Team leader and pro-active
- Mature personality with proven analytical thinking,
- Decision making and conflict resolution capacity.
- Ability to cope with high stress levels.
- Flexible and willing to perform tasks outside of core duties.
- Ability to respect and abide rules and regulations.
- Dynamic in rapid change
- Demonstrated interest in geopolitics.
- Excellent English (writing and oral)
- Fluent in Kiswahili
- Knowledge of French is an added advantage
Excellent competency in Microsoft packages (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
How to apply:
Send a cover letter and CV to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please indicate the job title and location in the email subject line clearly.
Deadline for applications: 3rd September 2013.
Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.
Solidarités International is an equal opportunity employer