Job Title: Outreach Team Leader / Nurse
Reporting to: Outreach Manager
Probationary Period: 3 months
Salary Range: Kshs 65,000 (basic Pay 55,000 and per diems 10,000)
Contract Type: Fixed Term – 2 years
Reporting to and working with the Outreach Manager, the Team Leader/Service Provider’s main role is to manage the Outreach Team, ensuring effective, high quality service delivery; appropriate leadership of the team and the provision of contraceptive counselling, long-acting methods of contraception and other clinical services including cervical screening in mobile outreach serving rural, poor, marginalised and under-served communities.
Post-holders are expected to spend at least 5 consecutive days per month away from the regional base ensuring access to services for isolated communities
MSK is a marketing focused, results oriented social enterprise. We develop efficient, effective and sustainable family planning and reproductive health programmes in Kenya. MSK provides services to men and women over 230,000 times a year.
The primary responsibility of this role is to further MSK’s mission of ensuring the individuals right to: CHILDREN BY CHOICE NOT CHANCE
It is a role requirement that the job holder must fully comply with, promote and live MSI CORE VALUES: mission driven, customer focused, results orientated, pioneering, sustainable and people centered
Key Responsibilities and Measures
1. Client Care
- To provide comprehensive client counselling on reproductive health, contraceptive options and other services.
- To ensure that all clients are treated with sensitivity, respect, and consideration. If complaints are raised, to be able to effectively manage and resolve them and to promptly refer to the Team Leader if the client complaint continues or is of a serious magnitude.
- To maintain the highest possible standard of client care by providing quality care to all clients.
- To implement a smooth, efficient client flow to minimise client waiting times.
- To monitor and evaluate client care continuously and recommend improvements as necessary.
- To provide accurate information to clients, and their families where required, to enable clients to make informed decision about their reproductive & sexual health.
- Repeat clients
- Referred clients
- Increase in income
- Informed public
2. Budgetary Control
- To ensure sufficient supplies are available to provide services without disruption and that stock is dispensed and counted accurately; stock cards are updated continuously and waste and spoilage of stock (i.e. expired stock) and stock outs are minimised.
- To comply with all financial standing operating procedures including accurate and timely management of advances and surrenders required for outreach provision.
- Lack of stock outs
- Financial protocols compliance
3. Technical & Clinical Service provision
- To provide all of the following clinical services to a consistently high standard and in accordance with clinical guidelines and protocols:
- All methods of short and long-term contraceptive methods, including injections, implants and IUDs.
- Removal of implants and IUDs where required.
- Assistance with tubal ligation and vasectomy procedures.
- Cervical screening, STI screening and treatment and VCT.
- To conduct weekly checking of essential equipment, promptly inform the Team Leader of their current status, and following up repairs or maintenance as required.
- To carry out all nursing procedures (as laid down in the procedure manual).
- To maintain high standards of cleanliness and infection control measures.
- To ensure instruments are appropriately sterilised and stored in compliance with infection control protocols.
- To order medical supplies and consumables in good time to avoid shortage.
- To ensure proper storage of medical supplies.
- To support clients through the provision of vocal local techniques during procedures.
- To attend clinical training and supervision as required.
- Improved quality of clinical care.
- Continuous CMEs conducted.
- Reduced cases of complications.
- CYPs acquired.
4. Record Keeping, reporting and performance management
- To ensure accurate client records are maintained in both the client record book and daily register.
- To ensure all client information is kept confidential at all times and stored appropriately.
- To provide accurate, timely collation of activity data for internal and external reporting purposes.
- To analyse activity trends and ensure performance targets are achieved, pro-actively identifying and implementing opportunities for improvements.
- To assist in the collection of client feedback data.
- All clients’ records and consent forms are kept in a safe and easy to retrieve area.
- Timely performance review conducted, recorded and reported.
- Client Mobilisation is achieved
5. Promotional Activities
- To fully participate in planned promotional activities including educational and awareness-raising events with clients, community members and other stakeholders.
- To positively promote Marie Stopes Kenya as a leading, quality provider of reproductive & sexual health services.
6. Leadership and HR Management
- Undertake annual work planning in liaison with the Outreach Manager.
- Undertake monthly planning and reviews of performance with the outreach team;
- Induct, train and support new outreach team members following Marie Stopes Kenya procedures and with support from the Outreach Manager and People and Development Department.
- Manage team to include motivation, supervision, personal development, performance reviews, and dealing with minor disciplinary issues;
- To conduct annual performance reviews of team members
- Facilitate team participation in district trainings as appropriate
- Review outreach on-going training needs in liaison with Outreach Manager, Training manager and People and Development Manager.
- Refer major problems of motivation and discipline to Outreach Manager and consequently People and Development Manager.
- Hold regular team meetings to communicate information from Support Office and to discuss outreach issues and feed back any concerns or new ideas to Support Office.
- Ensure teams are neat and tidy in appearance and uniform is worn correctly
- Ensure good time keeping by outreach team members.
- Work closely with medical officers over technical issues
- To ensure team compliance with Marie Stopes Kenya clinical guidelines and other standard operating procedures.
- To attend regular supervisory meetings with the Outreach Manager.
7. Team Values
- To actively contribute to achieving the outreach team targets set by Marie Stopes Kenya.
- To attend & contribute to team meetings and the creation and implementation of work plans.
- To continuously strive to improve client satisfaction and deliver client-focussed, high quality care.
- To support new team members in their induction & orientation and assist with training as required.
8. Professional and Ethical Conduct
- Marie Stopes Kenya nursing and midwifery staffs are expected to observe the relevant code of conduct for nurses and midwives in Kenya in regard to professional and ethical conduct.
- All clinical care must be provided in accordance with the highest standards of clinical care and safety.
- You must observe high standards of personal grooming and general hygiene and ensure your appearance is neat & tidy at all times whilst on duty.
- You are expected to wear the Marie Stopes Kenya uniform.
- You are expected to act professionally at all times, maintaining excellent client-focussed care especially when circumstances are challenging
- You are expected to act with financial integrity at all time. Marie Stopes Kenya has a zero-tolerance approach to fraudulent activities, including siphoning of clients for personal financial gain.
- Any other duties as maybe assigned by the Programmes Director.
Skills and Experience
- Diploma in Nursing from a recognised medical training college.
- Bachelor in Nursing will be an added advantage.
- Registered by the Nursing Council of Kenya
- Minimum 3 years post training working experience.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience of providing contraceptive services including long-term methods (implants and IUDs) – essential
- High regard for confidentiality
- Excellent communicator – both written and spoken
- Commitment to excellent client care and the delivery of client-focused services.
- High level of attention to detail
- High level of professionalism and management of clients
- Team player who accepts constructive criticism and is comfortable with giving constructive criticism.
- Ability to remain calm under pressure
- Ability to work flexibly to meet service needs.
Attitude / Motivation:Successful performance at MSI is not simply defined in terms of ‘what’ people achieve, but equally is about ‘how’ people go about their jobs and the impact that they have on others.
There are 13 key behaviours that MSI encourages in all employees and they are defined below:
Initiative: Thinking ahead and taking action to make the most of opportunities by finding the optimum solution
Innovative: Thinking creatively and outside of the box so that ideas generated create a positive outcome
Effective Communication: Communicating through active listening and good questioning techniques, using appropriate body language, ensuring information is clear and concise.
Responsive: Being responsive to changing priorities and demands
Working Efficiently: Planning, prioritising and organising work to ensure work is accurate and deadlines are met
Sharing Information: Sharing information and knowledge whilst maintaining confidentiality
Focus on Learning: Taking responsibility for keeping knowledge and skills updated and for seeking opportunities to develop further
Commitment: Awareness and understanding of goals, vision and values and how your role impacts on this and going the extra mile to meet role requirements
Driven: Drive and determination to deliver results
Accountable: Taking responsibility for appropriate decisions that you make, and the actions and behaviour you demonstrate
Embracing Change: Openness to embracing change within the organisation and being able to adjust plans/activities accordingly
Motivated: Motivation towards achieving quality results to maximise potential
Team Player: Working as part of a team by being supportive, flexible and showing respect for each other
How to Apply
Applications quoting the position title with detailed CVs with contact details of 3 referees should be submitted to:
People and Development Dept
Marie Stopes Kenya
On or before 20th November, 2013
Applications will be reviewed as they come.
NB: Please clearly indicate on the subject as “OUTREACH TEAM LEADER/NURSE”
Marie Stopes Kenya is an equal opportunity employer