Action for Children in Conflict is looking for an Education Advocacy Officer to support its Education Empowerment Programmes in Thika District.
What is Action for Children in Conflict?
Action for Children in Conflict is a small Non-Governmental Organisation working in Thika since 2004, running rehabilitative and preventative programmes to reduce the prevalence of street children in Thika.
AfCiC works with area Primary and Secondary schools to prevent drop outs and improve children’s chances of success in school. AfCiC also works with local government officials and other NGOs to meet these goals.
Primary Job Responsibilities
- Be the primary liaison between AfCiC and local schools
- Working with Head Teachers and other school leaders to identify vulnerable children and ways of preventing drop-outs
- Organising & implementing Child Advocacy Clubs in local schools & a termly Thika Children’s Parliament
- Advocacy & lobbying with education officials & other stakeholders to ensure access to free primary education for the most vulnerable
- Organising & implementing a teacher training programme focused on improving the quality of teaching in the poorest schools & providing better support to the teachers in those schools
- Supervising, supporting and guiding local and international volunteers
- Researching new education issues for the most vulnerable children in Thika
- Effective monitoring & evaluation of school dropout rates in the District
- Coordinating education campaigns & organising public seminars on education
- Taking part in publicity and fundraising for organisation
- Active participation in the Non Formal Education curriculum at our Interim Care Centre for Street Children
Skills/Qualifications/Attributes Required (Person Specification)
- Qualification in Teaching/ Education or other relevant field
- 2 years teaching experience
- Respect for vulnerable children and their families, putting their interests first
- Maintains discipline fairly and in keeping with Child Protection Policy
- Excellent communicator with children, parents, staff, colleagues, and the wider community
- Excellent spoken & written English
- Good computer skills
- Excellent presentation skills
- Flexible and cooperative with team colleagues
- Competently manages conflicting priorities, works to deadlines and under a high level of pressure
- Experience in fundraising
- Qualification in Early Childhood Development
- Experience working with/ supporting international volunteers
- Experience organising workshops/ training events
How can you apply?
Please submit your CV and a cover letter (either in person or by post) detailing why you feel you would be suitable for the job (detailing how you meet the Person Specification) to the AfCiC Administrator (Nancy Wangui) at the AfCiC Main Office on 2nd Floor, Imara Plaza (next to Thika Farmer’s Hotel), Thika Town.
Please enclose contact details of two professional references (no relatives or personal friends).
Please note we are NOT accepting email applications.
Closing Date: 5pm, Friday 2nd September 2011
Post: P.O Box 130, Thika
Physical Address: 2nd Floor, Imara Plaza, Thika Town
Telephone: 067 22604/ 0724 509138