Opportunity Kenya Ltd is a microfinance institution with operations in Nairobi, Western, Nyanza and Rift Valley provinces of Kenya, and is seeking qualified applicants for the SME Officer / Credit AnalystPosition.
Reporting to the Chief Relationship Officer, the SME Officer / Credit Analyst must represent Opportunity’s core values of Commitment, Humility, Respect, Integrity, Stewardship and Transformation.
The SME Officer/ Credit Analyst shall be located at the Head Office.
- Analyzes and evaluates loan applications (financial data, credit reports, including ratio and trend analysis, peer/industry comparison, pricing review, and Cash Analysis using Opportunity Kenya’s analysis tools). Also, review and analyze the financial condition of any guarantors.
- Prepares narrative analysis of findings and presents the same for approval to Branch Credit Committee or Head Office Credit Committee.
- Identifies problems, potential problems with credit information obtained and coordinate with the necessary party to resolve the problems.
- Understands Opportunity Kenya’s lending policies and identify exceptions and non-compliance with loan covenants while performing credit analysis.
- Stays informed regarding Opportunity Kenya’s loan policy, changes in lending standards, and related legal requirements.
- Analyze credit and financial information (e.g., credit reports, tax returns, financial statements, etc.) to determine risk involved in lending money to Small and Medium Scale Enterprise /individual customers.
- Enter financial figures into computer to generate ratios, and examine data to determine credit worthiness.
- Compare items such as liquidity and profitability with other companies of same industry, size and geographic location for commercial customers.
- Underwrite loan applications including credit approval reports, credit analysis results and loan request summaries.
- In collaboration with the Chief relationship Officer, establishes high standards of credit analysis and ensure adherence to the same at all times.
- Conduct risk profiles of various business sectors to act as guidance in assessments of related credit applications.
- Run and Analyze credit concentration reports and advise the bank on measures to be taken in order to avoid high credit concentrations in particular business sectors and minimize Opportunity Kenya’s credit risk exposures to such sectors.
- Ensures that lending policies and procedures, including sector concentration limits are adhered to.
- In collaboration with branch credit staff, ensures due handling of customer agreements.
- Analyses the loan book in terms of credit risk exposures to the bank and provides advice on courses of action for individual facilities.
- Provides credit risk reports depending on the area of operation on weekly basis to The Chief Relationship Officer
Qualifications & Experience
Minimum Education and Experience
- A University Degree preferably Business, Accounting, or Economics
- Three to five years of credit analysis, loan review or related experience.
- Practical Commercial Credit Analysis experience preferred.
- Strong knowledge of internal micro finance operations and loan sales strategy
The Ideal Candidate will possess the following attributes
- Strong knowledge of financial statement analysis and determination of credit worthiness.
- Knowledge of credit policies and procedures.
- Understanding of general accounting methods.
- Familiarity with loan documentation.
- Excellent written and communication skills.
- Strong logic, reasoning, and analytical skills.
- Advanced knowledge of microfinance and banking industry.
- Advanced knowledge of statutory and regulatory banking compliance regulations, and International Accounting Standards.
- Intermediate skills in personal computer operation, word processing and spread sheet software.
- Excellent analytical skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to set and deliver business goals specifically in the areas of portfolio quality, profitability, product performance, and risk management
- Ability to set, monitor, and assess achievements against performance targets, quality standards, and service agreements
- Ability to conceptualize and formulate a business strategy and implementation plans
- Ability to develop and get results through people by motivating and mentoring them to exceed expectation, especially those with multiple direct reports
- An in depth knowledge of micro lending products or services and ability to recommend changes to meet customer needs
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills with the ability to communicate clearly and persuasively, apply common sense to carry out instructions and instruct others, interpret documents, understand procedures, write reports and correspondence; and speak to third parties and employees
- An effective leader with the ability to enthuse and inspire employees to give their best in order to achieve goals
- Ability to build and maintain effective relationships with individuals and teams as a whole
- Excellent negotiation skills
- Strong analytical and influencing skills
Qualified candidates are invited to send their application letters, an up-to-date CV, telephone contact, copies of academic and professional certificates and names and telephone contacts for three current referees to the Human Resource Manager by Tuesday 25th February 2014.
Kindly indicate your current salary in your application.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Please use the following address:
The Human Resource Manager
Opportunity Kenya Limited
P.O. Box 19497-00202
or send application to firstname.lastname@example.org