Job Title: Legal and Compliance Officer
Reference: LCO _2013
Recruiter: Altima Africa Ltd
Our client, a leading services provider in the Kenya Capital Markets seeks to recruit a Legal and Compliance Officer responsible for providing legal, regulatory and research expertise in the continuous development and review of the rules and regulations of the firm; monitoring compliance with all relevant laws, rules and regulations and providing company secretarial services.
The Legal and Compliance Officer will report to the Chief Executive.
- Bachelors degree in Law
- Masters degree in Law or Business related field will be an added advantage
- Advocate of the High Court of Kenya
- Certified Public Secretary (CPS)
- At least five years relevant work experience
- Experience in company secretarial work
- Monitor compliance by the firm with the regulatory requirements prescribed by the Authority
- Monitor compliance by the firm with the Central Depositories Act, and rules and regulations made pursuant thereto
- Monitor compliance by the firm with all the firm operational and procedures manuals
- Monitor compliance by Agents with requirements under the firm’s rules and regulations
- Assist in preparing the firm’s internal policies and review the same for compliance with relevant laws
- Prepare and submit to the Board periodic compliance reports including any reports on material breaches of the regulatory requirements
- Participate in settlement and arbitration of disputes to ensure compliance with capital market requirements
- Assist the firm Board and Management in the interpretation of Capital Markets Laws, Regulations, Rules and Guidelines
- Coordinate external legal counsel hired by the firm to provide legal services
- Provide internal legal support for the firm’s projects and departments
- Participating in negotiation, reviewing and/or drafting of contracts and agreements to be entered into by the firm or relating to the firm’s operations
- Maintain up to date records of all the firm legal information and data and ensure safekeeping of legal documents and contracts
- Provide legal advice and research on matters concerning the firm and the Capital Markets
- Perform all company secretarial duties for the firm including taking minutes at meetings and filing of appropriate returns.
- Prepare and submit periodic corporate governance reports to the board
- Ensure compliance with all obligations under the Companies Act and the company’s Memorandum and Articles of Association
- Adept at drafting and reviewing legal documents
- Knowledge of Rules and regulations of the firm, NSE and CMA, and working knowledge of the mechanics of the Kenyan capital market
- Training/Skills- Continuous capital market regulation and development training
- Positive attitude and drive for results
- Professionalism, interest in evolving trends with evidenced pursuit of professional education programmes
- Exemplary interpersonal skills, and ability to mediate and facilitate dispute resolution
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of privileged information and to ensure absolute discretion and sensitivity to confidential matters
How to Apply
If you are qualified and up to the challenge visit www.altimaafrica.com/careers.php and apply online by 5pm, 6th April 2013.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.