Programme Officer - Emergency
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Reporting to: Programme Manager - Emergency
Contract: 12 months with possible extension
Key relations: Emergency Coordinator, HSNP SPR Manager, Resource Development Advisor, Regional Development Centre staff
HelpAge International is a global network of not-for-profit organisations with a vision of a world where older people fulfill their potential to lead active, dignified, healthy and secure lives.
HelpAge’s strategic aim for its work in emergencies is to ensure that older people receive humanitarian assistance as they are entitled to according to humanitarian principles.
We achieve this by implementing responses to emergencies and, using the evidence of our programmes and research, influencing the policy and programmes of other humanitarian aid providers – including national governments – to ensure they meet the needs of older people.
Overall purpose of the Job:
To ensure coordination of effective stakeholder engagement at all levels of the organization, to support a well-coordinated and strategic resource acquisition effort that focuses on HelpAge International’s thematic areas and core competencies.
Job content and Key Tasks
- Profile HelpAge International through appropriate representation with Donors , Government , Peer Organizations and other key stakeholders
- Actively seek and identify funding opportunities and develop proposals with compliance to donor requirements and technical support from different departments and program managers
- Preparation and compilation of various documents and reports
- Liaise with the M&E Coordinator to ensure accurate data for learning, advocacy work and preparation of reports
- Assist the Emergency Program Manager in tracking the status of project implementation in regard to donor compliance, documentation, learning and sharing;
- Participate in key humanitarian coordination forums and cluster meetings in order to highlight issues of older people in emergencies.
- Actively identify and seize opportunities for influencing policies and strategies.
- Keep abreast of best practise developments in the humanitarian and DRR sectors and ensure they are applied in HelpAge emergency response and DRR programmes
- Support affiliates and partners in Kenya in relation to emergency response and DRR programmes, establishing systems and procedures and ensuring regular monitoring of programmes, including evaluation and audit missions.
- Document experience gained in HelpAge’s emergency and DRR programmes as well as other sources in order to share evidence and learning and disseminate good practise.
- Develop collaborative and partnership operations with other operational agencies in order to mainstream response to the needs of older people.
- Be involved in the organization of training and other events organized at the EWCARDC;
- Participate in the activities of the East, West and Central Africa Regional Development Centre;
- To undertake any other duties as assigned by the management.
The post holder is expected to operate within all HelpAge’s policies and procedures.
- Essential Bachelor’s Degree in development studies or social sciences.
- 5 years’ work experience with preferable with an INGO in a similar role
- Demonstrated experience in leadership, strategic management, results based management, staff capacity building, networking, fundraising, design, monitoring and evaluation.
- Ability to maintain donor relations through timely and adequate communications.
- Cross cultural experience, understanding and sensitivity.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Fluent spoken and written English
- Ability and willingness to be administratively self supporting
- Ability and willingness to travel nationally as required
- Knowledge and interest of ageing preferred
- Familiarity with Social Protection, international development.
To apply, please send an updated CV and covering letter by 6 July, 2012, explaining how you meet the criteria for the role to:
Regional Human Resources Coordinator
East, West and CentralAfrica Regional Development Centre,
P.O. Box 14888 – 00800
These are National Positions
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
HelpAge International is an Equal Opportunities Employer