Job Title: Receptionist
Line Function: Finance and Administration
Reporting line: Chief Accountant
The African Virtual University (AVU) is a Pan African Intergovernmental Organization established by charter with the mandate of significantly increasing access to quality higher education and training through the innovative use of information communication technologies.
A Charter, establishing the AVU as an Intergovernmental Organization, has been signed so far by fourteen (14) African Governments - Kenya, Senegal, Mauritania, Mali, Cote d’Ivoire, Tanzania, Mozambique, Democratic Republic of Congo, Benin, Ghana, Guinea, Burkina Faso, Niger and South Sudan.
The AVU has its headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya and a Regional office in Dakar Senegal with Host-Country Agreements and Diplomatic Status with the two governments
The AVU is now seeking to fill the position of a Receptionist.
The Receptionist will provide administrative support to the organization and maintain a professional company image through in-person phone and email interaction.
Scope of Work & Deliverables:
Scope of Work & Deliverables:
The Receptionist will be expected to perform/deliver the following:
- Answer telephone calls and transfer them to the appropriate staff member.
- Receive and welcome clients and visitors in the organization.
- Perform general clerical duties to include but not limited to: photocopying, faxing, mailing, and filing.
- Collect, Sign for and distribute mail packages.
- Organize and coordinate office cleaning.
- Setup and coordinate meetings and conferences.
- Support staff in assigned project based work.
- Maintain an adequate inventory of office consumables (Cleaning and Kitchen Supplies)
- Other duties as assigned
Competencies, Skills and Attributes:
- Must be a mature, respectful and honest person of high integrity that is able to work in a team and make meaningful contributions to the team objective.
- Good communication and sound report-writing skills will be an added advantage.
- Should be quick in understanding, keen in taking instructions, and able to work with minimum supervision.
- Should be willing, ready and able to perform other duties as delegated to him/her by the immediate supervisor
Experience and Qualification:
- The successful applicant must possess at least a C Plain in O’ Level
- Possess a business diploma or qualified in secretarial duties and be proficient in computer packages.
- Basic reading, writing, and arithmetic skills required.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office and telephone protocol.
- Have excellent communications skills, excellent interpersonal skills and able to work under pressure with minimum supervision.
- The applicant must have 4 years of work experience.
- Knowledge of French is an added advantage.
- Possession of a Business degree will be an added advantage
Your application will include a detailed curriculum vitae, electronic versions of your certified certificates, names and contact addresses of three professional referees, current and expected salary sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for receiving applications is 24th August 2012
The African Virtual University is an equal opportunity employer.