Position: Assistant Project Manager
Deadline to Apply: October 15th, 2013
Start Date: November 8th, 2013
Location: Kisumu County
Eligibility: Position open to local Kenyan hires only
About Innovations for Poverty Action: Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a non-profit research organization that creates and evaluates approaches to solving development problems.
IPA disseminates the results of its evaluations to policymakers, practitioners, investors and donors around the world.
The project will study various barriers to savings for particularly vulnerable women—sex workers, widowed and separated women. We will look at the effects of savings training and highly liquid savings accounts.
The project will also assess the use and effectiveness of other strategies that deal with emergency expenses and investment goals. Detailed data will be collected weekly from a sample of women in Kisumu town and in Kobura ward.
Assistant Project Managers will play a central role in the study’s success and will gain valuable experience in leadership in the field, data collection and representing the study to various partners.
Through their work, Assistant Project Managers will oversee a team of field officers and supervise data collection; will work closely with the field coordinator to improve their own skills and those of their colleagues; will be responsible for daily logistics; and will represent the project in meetings with local chiefs, village elders and other partners.
The Assistant Project Manager will be based in Kisumu town and will manage project activities in Kisumu town and in Kobura ward.
The Assistant Project Manager will be expected to work Monday through Saturday.
Tasks, Duties, and Responsibilities:
- Arrive to work promptly and reliably, always setting an example for one’s colleagues.
- Interact with community members with the highest level of integrity and understanding.
- Collaborate with teammates to improve own skills and those of teammates.
- Relay field costs to field coordinator for reimbursement.
- Assist in logistics for different arms of the project (i.e. training rooms for the savings intervention)
- Manage different payments for respondents and distribute to field officers as needed
- Coordinate with MPESA agents for registration
Census and Data Collection
- Assist in training field officers to conduct census of target women
- Supervise field officers conducting census mapping and provide feedback to field officers and field coordinator
- Assist in the development and translation of questionnaires
- Coordinating with field officers for scheduling of respondents for data collection activities
- Assist in the management of data collection activities: collecting data from field officers on a daily basis, and turning over data to field coordinator
- Supervise field officers responsible for survey backchecks, including selection of backcheck respondents and scheduling of backcheck surveys
- Comfortable with working with sex workers and other vulnerable women
- Supervisory and management experience related to field work and data collection
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Experience in training staff to improve data collection efforts and their accuracy
- History of providing feedback to teammates and examples of this feedback improving teammates’ work
- Has, at least, basic computer skills
- Willingness to work on Saturdays
- Bachelors’ degree or college diploma/certificate
- Experience supervising data collection activities
- Experience with conducting census mapping and interviews
- Fluent in Luo
Please send a cover letter and detailed CV, 3 references, daytime phone number(s), and email address.
Your CV should include your scores or grades and other measures of academic achievement, and details about any relevant work experience.
Applications can be submitted to any of our branch offices, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org ,
or by post office using P.O Box 373, Busia area code 50400 Kenya.
If you submit by email, please ensure that the subject line reads: “Assistant Project Manager.”REF NO iSAVE-2013-10-01.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted by email for an interview.
Applicants are encouraged to apply early, as applications will be reviewed on a ROLLING BASIS.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Assistant Project Manager. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to email@example.com.