Position Title: Communications Officer
Position Location: Nairobi
Duration: 1 year with possibility of extension
Reporting to: Communications & Advocacy Officer
Working with: Communications & Advocacy Officer, Program staff, Human Resources Department, Logistics Department
Starting date: Immediate
Application deadline: 6th July 2012. Adeso will conduct interviews on an on-going basis.
Vacancy contact: Please send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org – Adeso will only respond to short-listed applicants.
Adeso, formally known as Horn Relief, is an expanding and vibrant African based international development and humanitarian organization. At Adeso, we work with African communities who are yet to realize their full potential; working inside these communities to create environments in which Africans can thrive.
Our belief that economic, social and environmental security is the bedrock of a healthy community drives the nature and intent of our programming.
We work to prevent and overcome situations that adversely affect community well-being by: reinvigorating the economy, developing skills for life and work, providing humanitarian aid, and influencing policy.
For the past 20 years we have strengthened rural livelihoods through environmental awareness, training, technology transfer and innovative humanitarian projects in pursuit of a peaceful, self-reliant, and greener future. Currently, Adeso has programs in Somalia, Kenya and South Sudan.
Our current donor portfolio includes the European Commission, USAID, SIDA, CIDA, UNICEF, and the Government of Netherlands, among others.
Adeso is an exciting and dynamic organization experiencing managed rapid growth. It offers sound employment conditions with opportunities for personal growth and development.
The position holder will work closely with Adeso’s Communications and Advocacy Officer and other program staff to support the organization’s communications needs across its three country programs.
The purpose of this position is to support the overall functioning of the communications department and provide administrative support where needed.
The Communications Officer will be primarily responsible for management of the website and social media activities, and for ensuring timely execution of the day-to-day work of the department.
Specific Roles and Responsibilities
- Manage the Adeso website. This includes regularly updating the “In the Spotlight” and “Success stories” sections, as well as the headlines facts, and vacancy announcements
- Monitor and report on website usage
- Liaise with external consultants on a needs-basis for development of new website templates
- Develop and oversee the implementation of an organizational social media strategy
- Set targets for increasing Adeso’s visibility and reach via Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin and other social networking sites
- Manage posts on Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin and other social networking sites
Communications, publications and materials
- Develop and maintain a suite of materials to effectively communication Adeso’s mission, vision, main messages and on-going projects to key audiences;
- Edit or develop and disseminate of Adeso case studies and success stories to maximize their use;
- Work with project teams to create and regularly update project profiles as well as an organizational profile;
- Maintain an updated database of available information materials (physical and electronic).
- Conduct weekly media monitoring and send weekly reports to staff in Kenya, South Sudan and Somalia respectively;
- Support the Communications and Advocacy Officer in developing media strategy, drafting press releases, responding to media enquiries and building dialogue with journalists.
- Provide editorial support to colleagues for reports, case studies, articles, and presentations;
- Any other duty as may be assigned
Skills and Qualifications
- Masters Degree in Communications/Journalism or related field, or Bachelors degree and demonstrated experience
- Experience working within a humanitarian or development context an asset
- Excellent communications skills (oral and written)
- Excellent written and spoken English is essential, as well as a critical eye for editing and grammar
- Experience in managing websites and in using social media tools in a professional context
- Experience and skills in the use of software programs such as MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Adobe
- Demonstrated effective organizational skills and ability to handle work in a timely manner
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate tasks to meet deadlines
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with respect for diversity
- Knowledge of or interest in humanitarian programs, as well as a commitment to Adeso’s mission and vision
- Willingness and ability to travel to remote locations
This is a challenging opportunity for a dedicated and highly motivated professional.
If you would like to join this dynamic team and help contribute to better resilience and economic growth for African communities, please submit your application to email@example.com, , www.adesoafrica.org
Each application should be addressed to the Human Resources Manager and include the following:
- An updated CV; and
- An application letter which should includes full contact details of three work-related referees.
This position is only open to Kenyan Nationals.
Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Adeso is an equal opportunity employer.