Job Title: Business Development Officer
Responsible to: Director
Duration: 24 months
Hours: Full time, 40 hours per week
Start Date: immediate
About Tegemeo Institute, an Institute of Agricultural Policy and Development, in Research and Extension Division of Egerton University
Tegemeo is Kenya’s leading agricultural policy research institute and one of the leading research institutes in East Africa.
It has a long track record designing and conducting policy research and evaluation for local and international partners.
Tegemeo wishes to strengthen its capacities in MLE to enable it to play a greater role in the execution of development strategies in the agricultural sector.
Background: Tegemeo received a grant to strengthen the Institute’s capacity to provide Measurement Learning and Evaluation (MLE) services to agricultural development projects and programmes in East Africa, and to support its development into an important regional hub for MLE within the Agricultural Learning and Impacts Network (ALINe) initiative.
The support will also help Tegemeo achieve its goal of becoming a world-class research institute that can play a long-term regional role in agricultural policy research, monitoring and evaluation, including the capacity to mentor other evaluation Institutions/Firms in the region.
The grant supports three areas:
1) strengthening staff and capabilities;
2) investing in technology and innovation; and
3) developing partnerships and networks in the East African MLE community.
Position Summary: Tegemeo Institute seeks a Business Development Officer for its MLE unit. The position serves in both advisory and execution tasks.
Specifically, he/she will participate in developing an MLE business model to grow the Institute to become the MLE service provider of choice for agricultural development agencies in the region.
He/she will support growth in MLE business by developing: an institutional framework for building of strategic partnerships; a pricing model that not only ensures profitability of MLE business but also the Institute’s competitiveness; and proposing and implementing a staffing model for the MLE unit which ensures MLE Unit has adequate capability for various MLE assignments.
The business advisor will work in a small team but will be able to draw resources and expertise from the procurement and finance team at the Institute as well as from strategic partners and consultants.
1. Business Development
- Development of an MLE business model
- Development of an institutional framework for strategic partnerships and MLE capability and capacity enhancement
- Implement model to grow MLE Business
2. Manage MLE business activities with partnerships and stakeholders
1. Support to Director
- Day to day management of MLE business agenda
- Further development of MLE business at the Institute
- Inform on the status of MLE business in the Institute and the structures in place
- Advise on the appropriate business model and institutional structures for development of MLE as a business
2. Business Development
- Be proactive in identifying and securing selected MLE assignments in the market.
- Advise director on which MLE jobs Institute should bid for
- Ensure adequate capacity is in place to bid and undertake various MLE assignments/tasks
- Timeliness in procurement of MLE consultants/associates including preparation of TORs and contracts
- Participate in preparation of wining MLE proposals and preparation of budgets
3. Management of business with partners and stakeholders
- Cultivate trust and good working relationships with clients
- Identify strategic partners within and outside the region in area of MLE
- Negotiate and draw MOUs/Cooperative Agreements with partners
- Prepare progress reporting and monthly reviews/ updates
- Regular updates and consultations with strategic partners eg. ALINe
- An acceptable Business Model and Institutional Framework for developing MLE business- staffing, costing, remuneration, profits, investments etc proposed
- Implementation of the business model, framework
- MOU’s. agreements/contracts with Institute’s strategic partners, associates, consultants
- Consultants/associates/partners working with MLE unit
- Select MLE jobs Institute has bid for
- Portfolio of MLE jobs successfully undertaken by Institute
- Advanced degree in business/strategic management
- Deep understanding of development issues in business development in SSA, particularly in a technical area such as MLE
- A good level of appreciation of social research and methods, both quantitative
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Skills in proposal writing including budgeting
- Experience in writing winning proposals in development
- 5 year experience in business development of which at least 2 years of work experience has been in sub-Saharan Africa
- Team player and ability to cultivate a good working relationship with research team at the Institute
- Good networks in the area of business development – for sourcing expertise & technology
- An offer of employment will be subject to the receipt of satisfactory references.
- We require three references, one of which must be from you present or most recent employer.
- The Institute reserves the right to contact your previous employer before an offer is made.
- Unless your permission is granted, your present employer will not be approached until after an offer of employment has been made.
Probationary Period: The first 3 months of your employment with the Institute will be counted as a probationary period. During this time the Institute will make an assessment of your suitability for acceptance to a permanent position.
Hours of Work: This post is full time, 40 hours per week.
Holidays: The annual leave entitlement is 30 days
- During your probationary service the period of notice to terminate your employment is 1 month.
- Following successful completion of your probationary period, the notice period you are required to give the Institute becomes 3 months.
Duration: This is a national position for 24 months with possibilities of renewal for a further period upon satisfactory performance and if project is extended.
Salary: The position with be competitively remunerated including benefits such as medical insurance and other allowances.
Location: The position will based in Nairobi, Kenya but will involve extensive travel to focal countries of donor agents as well as project locations.
Application Instruction and Deadline:
A cover letter together with copies of transcripts, certificates and a detailed CV including names and contact information of three referees should be submitted via email address email@example.com
Applications should be clearly marked with the relevant position and should be received no later than Wednesday 18th June 2014.
Only applicants meeting the above requirements will be contacted.