Chartered in 1983, Aga Khan University (AKU) is committed to excellence in education, research and service. The University strives for quality, international standards and relevance in all of its programs and selects its faculty, staff and students on the basis of merit, irrespective of gender, race, religion or domicile. AKU is a major component of Aga Khan Development Network, which consists of institutions that collaborate for development in response to social, economic and cultural challenges in specific regions of the developing world.
The University’s Faculty of Health Sciences was planned with the support of Harvard University, McGill University and McMaster University. It presently includes a Medical College and a School of Nursing, which are located together with their principal teaching site, Aga Khan University Hospital, in Karachi, Pakistan. In addition, in Karachi, the University has an Institute for Educational Development and a substantial Faculty of Arts and Sciences which is being developed on a new 1100-acres campus.
As an international institution, the University has established academic programmes beyond Pakistan, through an Institute for the Study of Muslim Civilisations in London and programmes in Advanced Nursing Studies and Post-graduate Medical Education in countries in East Africa. AKU has been offering educational programmes in East Africa since 2001 and is currently planning a major expansion of its existing work in East Africa, in the fields of medical, nursing and teacher education. AKU is fully registered in Tanzania by the Tanzania Commission for Universities as Aga Khan University -Tanzania Institute of Higher Education (AKU-TIHE).
Position: Administrative Assistant Based in Dar es Salaam Tanzania.
Reporting to the Associate Director, Administration or nominee, the appointee will be responsible for providing effective and efficient administrative and secretarial support to the Associate Director, Administration and to Faculty at AKU-IED, EA. His or her specific duties will include.
- Scheduling of appointments and providing support on the daily tasks of supervisors (including organising documentation and resources for meetings or classes)
- Carrying out general office administration functions, which include maintaining and operating appropriate and efficient communications systems such as telephone, fax, email, mail and courier service and attending to day-to-day administrative issues
- Maintaining efficient systems to ensure all incoming and outgoing correspondence is properly received, recorded and distributed
- Maintaining efficient filing systems
- Taking minutes during meetings outlining recommendations and tasks assigned
- Liaising with the Administrative Assistants in general administration to follow-up on relevant arrangements e.g. transport or travel
- Ensuring proper travel arrangements and itineraries are made
- Maintaining task lists
- Assist with web-based and library research
The ideal candidate should:
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree in Secretarial Studies or equivalent
- A minimum of two years of related work experience.
- Demonstrate initiative and Excellent interpersonal skills
- Be proficient in MS Office applications
Please send your application, an updated CV and testimonials, including the names, postal and e-mail addresses, telephone/fax numbers of two professional references, addressed to the Human Resources Coordinator, AKU - TIHE P.O. Box 125, Dar es Salaam; Fax (+255) (0)22 2150875 or email email@example.com