Job: Recruiting Officer (Schools)
Job Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Number of Positions: 2
About Bridge International Academies
Bridge International Academies is a startup revolutionizing education across Africa with a truly unique business model. The company has launched a large-scale franchise-like network of ultra low-cost for-profit private primary schools across Africa.
Our schools profitably deliver high-quality education for less than $4 per child per month, enabling local school managers to operate their school businesses profitably, while creating a highly successful business at the central level.
We have launched 37 schools in Kenya, with approximately 35 more opening in January and plan to rapidly scale the Company to serve more than 1 million students across continents.
About this position
Bridge International Academies is looking for an individual with a successful track record of processing and interviewing large numbers of applications.
This position requires someone with high demonstrated energy levels, who is extremely motivated to succeed and is accountable for results.
This position reports to the Human Resource Manager (Schools) and the primary goal is to lead these large scale recruitment drives for our schools which are located in the local income areas and/or informal settlements of Nairobi and beyond.
Because of the eventual size of our operations, the company will eventually need to hire thousands of new teachers each year and hundreds of new school managers to manage this undertaking.
It is critical to our success to be able to design and manage streamlined selection, recruiting, and hiring processes to find the right people and to do so in a cost-effective manner. It is the role of the Recruiting Officer to lead this process while working with the rest of the HR team to support the Human Resource for the schools.
Providing day to day human resource services and execution in the areas of recruitment, induction, staff records management, staff medical services liaison, leave administration, HR reporting and assisting in any HR projects that may come up from time to time as well as development of improved tools and processes to enhance the HR function for schools.
The role and responsibility for this job may change over time, but initially will include, but not be limited to:
Key tasks and deliverables
- Develop and execute recruitment plans in coordination with School Operations and relevant departments- including activity flows, budgets and cost tracking and regular feedback on key aspects of the recruitment process
- Responsible for the full cycle of scheduling, recruiting, ,testing, interviewing, for and during the hiring of school managers, teachers, land scouts, site foreman. This will include building systems to optimize the process.
- Use existing and develop new screening assessments (for example, math and English tests, written applications, public speaking exercises, mock sales pitches, personality and aptitude tests)
- Provide input in the evaluation and improvement of the process of administering, scoring and conducting final round of interviews with relevant department members
- You will be responsible for the hiring of other employees who support recruitment for schools (recruiting assistants, marketing, and postering). This will include but is not limited to all the administrative communication with the candidates, interviewing, training, and performance management.
- Ensure that recruitment data management of all relevant HR information into the database related to school employees is entered and updated regularly
- Work closely and support School Operations and the Training Department on all aspects of teacher/school manager recruitment
Induction of new staff
- Develop and conduct HR briefing/orientation in coordination with the Training Department.
- Represent HR in the Training Programme and facilitate sessions on appropriate policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Provide an overview of benefits and entitlements and carry out an on boarding process.
- Oversee the collection of all the necessary personal details to ensure the new employees register with all the required agencies like KRA, NSSF, NHIF, etc. For the teachers and School Managers this will also involve working with the NSSF and NHIF to process all the candidates during training.
Contract and Data Management
- You will be responsible for the expeditious issuance and signing of contracts for school employees.
- You will work together with the Finance department to ensure all school employees have been entered into the payroll system correctly and all employees who have been terminated have been removed.
- You will help manage the databases in coordination with IT to maintain relevancy and correctness of information
- You will provide data/information on transport subsidies for multiple locations which will be updated on quarterly basis
- Maintain an up to date data base of staff leave entitlement and utilization in line with leave policy guidelines.
- Track and provide for monthly payroll preparation and company reporting relevant data about HR activities to be incorporated into monthly, quarterly and annual reports. This includes changes in headcounts, leave status, gender and age distribution, absenteeism reports and other reports in the HR scorecard
- Analysis of staffing distribution into full time, permanent substitute, backup on a monthly basis
- Preparing monthly reports to provide a summary of key HR events during the month.
- Participate in the HR budgeting process
- Support new HR projects that may be initiated by senior management.
- Propose and supervise HR process improvement initiatives.
- Maintain a data base of staff contract dates and communicate to Head of School Operations on due dates for appraisals, contract renewals, probationary reviews and contract end dates.
- Support your supervisees in the performance management process and appraise them accordingly
- Provide ideas/support in the development of appropriate staff appraisal results management systems to ensure appropriate information and follow up of results.
- Participate actively in the teacher and school manager forums together with school operations teams
- Institute a system for capturing HR issues arising from the schools and provide a feedback mechanism for resolving challenges. Develop an automated system in coordination with the IT Department for monitoring the teachers hotline
- Support the process of establishing of HR policies and procedures specific for teachers and school managers,
- Any other duties that may be delegated to you in line with your role.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in recruiting and managing hiring processes for schools with high volumes of new hires
- Bachelor Degree in either Human Resource Management, Administration, Social Sciences
- Higher Diploma in Human Resource Management from a reputable institution
- Membership to a HR Professional body
- Knowledge of the Labour Laws of Kenya
- Experience in managing human resource issues for a company with complex and growing human resource needs
- Policy and systems-oriented with experience in developing systems and processes to manage a complex hiring process for many positions simultaneously
- Strong ability to quickly understand what is required of a position, define the detailed requirements, and know how to source, screen and interview people who will fit that role.
- Function well in a fast-paced, informal environment where constant change is the norm and the bar for quality is set high
- This position requires a lot of travelling hence one should be ready and willing to travel at short notice.
- Strong negotiation, communication and interpersonal skills
- Must possess computer skills
In order to be considered for this position all candidates must register and upload their CV’s on our website at www.bridgeinternationalacademies.com