The Kenya National Commission for UNESCO is a State Corporation established under the KNATCOM Act of 2013 which aims to contribute to peace and sustainable development in Kenya by promoting collaboration among stakeholders through five fields of competence namely: Education, Natural Sciences, Social & Human Sciences, Culture and Communication & Information.
To enable it fulfill its mandate, the Commission wishes to recruit dynamic, result-oriented and self-driven persons to fill the following vacant position:
Deputy Secretary General, Technical Programmes
Deputy Secretary General, Technical Programmes
Grade KC 14 - HR 1/2015
Terms: 4yr contract (renewable)
Duties and Responsibilities
The officer will be responsible to the Secretary General/CEO for the coordination and implementation of UNESCO’s programmes in a results oriented and timely manner to achieve the Commission’s goals, objectives and agreed performance targets.
- Providing organizational leadership and strategic guidance to managers and staff in the technical programmes Directorate;
- Coordinating the development and implementation of the Directorate’s medium to long term strategy, plans, operating budgets and performance contract;
- Coordinating Kenya’s representation, participation and reporting in UNESCO’s international meetings and processes;
- Coordinating the formulation, implementation and evaluation processes of UNESCO policies, programmes and activities in the country;
- Advising and recommending strategic bilateral and/or multilateral partnerships and collaborative ventures within UNESCO’s network of institutions and partnering organizations;
- Coordinating the preparation and evaluation of technical proposals, reports and other submissions from the Directorate;
- Providing authoritative advice on all matters related to UNESCO’s programmes and activities in the country;
- Ensuring effective management of communications between the Directorate and the stakeholders;
- Coordinating the activities of the five UNESCO Programme and Expert committees;
- Developing and implementing procedural or policy changes to improve quality and value of services and products provided by the technical programmes Directorate; and
- Any other responsibilities as may be assigned by the Secretary General/CEO.
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum of a Master’s degree in any of the following fields namely: education; natural sciences; social sciences; culture; Arts; or communication and information sciences from a recognized and accredited institution;
- Possess a minimum of fifteen (15) years of progressive professional experience five (5) of which at a comparable senior management level;
- Possess wide professional experience in development issues related to any of the five areas of competence of UNESCO undertaken in association with national and/or international organizations;
- Have working knowledge of the UNESCO system and/or programmes will be an added advantage;
- Possess a certificate in strategic leadership and development from a recognized and accredited institution; and
- Proficiency in computer applications.
Skills / Competencies
- Demonstrated experience and expertise in any of the five areas of competence of UNESCO;
- Demonstrated ability to articulate, interpret and implement National and/or International policies and development goals in any of the five areas of competence of UNESCO;
- Demonstrated strategic planning and management abilities, including capacity to administer extensive programmes and financial resources, as well as exercised appropriate supervision and control;
- Demonstrated strong leadership skills, integrity, high sense of objectivity and flexibility in performing and/or overseeing the analysis and/or implementation of complex national issues related to any of the five areas of competence of UNESCO;
- Proven ability to function effectively at the highest governmental levels, and to build collaborative partnerships and networks;
- Excellent judgment and decision making abilities including strong analytical and negotiation skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills including demonstrated ability to work in a multicultural environment whilst maintaining sensitivity and respect for gender and diversity issues; and
- Excellent communication skills with strong representational abilities.
How to Apply
- All applicants MUST fill the provided application form.
- The application form can be downloaded from the Commissions website www.unesco.or.ke
- Each applicant should submit the form in BOTH hard and soft copy.
- The soft copy should be sent to the email firstname.lastname@example.org (word format)
- The hard copy can be dropped at the Commission’s Offices National Bank building 14th Floor, Harambee Avenue, Nairobi, or mailed to Secretary General/CEO, P.O. Box 72107-00200, Nairobi.
- Applicants must attach all the necessary relevant supporting documents to the hard and soft copy submissions
- All applications should be received on or before Friday 27th March, 2015.
- Applicants should obtain relevant clearances from; (KRA, EACC, HELB, CID)
Note: Kindly note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
KNATCOM is an equal opportunity employer.
Women and Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.