Closing Date: Monday, 31 October 2011
Dynamic, experienced leader sought for Country Director of TechnoServe Tanzania
Do you have the experience, skills and passion to help build businesses that increase prosperity in some of the poorest parts of the world?
TechnoServe (TNS) is an international, non-profit economic development organization founded in 1968 out of a conviction that a vibrant private sector is an essential foundation for economic growth and poverty reduction. TechnoServe undertakes targeted, catalytic technical assistance and other programming to increase the competitiveness of entrepreneurs, businesses and industries that in-turn provide sustainable employment, inclusion of the poor and increased incomes. TechnoServe operates in 25 developing countries with over 900 employees.
A substantial portion of our work is in agriculture, enhancing farm productivity and commodity quality and addressing gaps in processing and other agribusiness capacities.
Strong private sector partnerships at the global, regional and local levels are a hallmark of our approach. Our senior staff/global hires are exceptional professionals from a diverse range of sectors including consulting, agri-business, financial services and development, among others, all with a shared commitment to driving inclusive development through the commercial sector.
TechnoServe Tanzania is an emerging flagship platform working with more than 100,000 direct beneficiaries to help them improve their incomes and livelihoods. Our 150+ staff work across multiple value chains - including staple crops such as maize, rice and cassava, and cash crops including coffee, cocoa, cotton and tomatoes, among others - to help farmers shift from subsistence to commercial enterprise by improving productivity, establishing farmer-owned enterprises and creating market linkages with reliable buyers in local, regional and international markets.
In addition, our teams work with many of Tanzania's agro-processors to increase the growth of their businesses and strengthen the agro-processing sector overall with technical assistance and business advisory services.
II. PRIMARY PURPOSE & FUNCTION:
Lead all aspects of TechnoServe's operations in Tanzania to achieve sustainable economic development in a cost-effective manner.
- Impact: Strategically select areas of work, partnerships and methodologies that most effectively contribute to poverty reduction, and assure excellence of implementation through total quality management and evidence-based decision-making.
- Leadership: Develop, inspire and enable a team of Tanzanian and international professionals to deliver high quality results, and effectively manage human resources, finance and back office functions to optimize cost-effectiveness.
- Fundraising: Secure funding to sustain and grow TechnoServe's contribution to the economic development of Tanzania.
III. DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
The duties and responsibilities of this position fall into four broad categories: Fundraising, Operations, Leadership (people and strategy) and Administration.
- Regularly develop and adapt the country strategic vision and direction and execute it in keeping with TechnoServe's overall strategic plan;
- Establish and foster relationships with a broad network of donors, practitioners, government representatives and business leaders in the Tanzanian economic development field, assimilating and contributing to new developments in the sector;
- Recruit, orient and provide for the professional development of highly effective staff in all functions;
- Motivate, inspire and enable a team of Tanzanian and international professionals to deliver high quality results
- Identify and pursue innovative solutions to poverty reduction
- Identify opportunities where TechnoServe can play a role in catalyzing more competitive, inclusive industries and entrepreneurship;
- Undertake industry assessments, market research and other analytical exercises that generate insight into opportunities for TechnoServe to achieve its mission
- Secure funding for the country program by developing concepts, leading sound project design and writing winning proposals;
- Cultivate and maintain TechnoServe in-country partner and donor relationships with USAID and other US government agencies; local government, bilateral and multilateral development/donor organizations; foundations and relevant local NGOs; private sector associations and corporations.
- Oversee the design, planning and high quality, timely execution of TNS programs in the field;
- Plan for and execute robust monitoring and evaluation of program outputs and outcomes;
- Ensure cost-effective delivery of donor and client commitments
- Contribute to the documentation and sharing of knowledge within the broader TechnoServe community
- Ensure high quality and timely donor reporting;
- Oversee all TechnoServe Tanzania financial affairs, including budgets, adherence to effective internal financial controls and review of monthly financial reporting;
- Act as legal representative of TechnoServe in Tanzania, conducting all affairs with the government, the media and partners in keeping with TNS policies and procedures;
- Maintain good governance practices for all TechnoServe related entities in Tanzania in accordance with Tanzanian law;
- Responsible for participation and compliance with all TNS corporate processes such as the annual planning process, attendance at the annual CD meeting, preparation of Program Status and pipeline reports and overseeing the correct and complete updating of the core indicator database.
IV. KNOWLEDGE & EXPERTISE:
- Advanced degree in business, economics, agriculture or related field with 10-15 years solid professional experience with progressively higher levels of responsibility
- A minimum of 2 years experience leading a business unit or large-scale project with responsibility for all aspects of operations
- A minimum of 5 years experience working in a developing country, preferably in east or southern Africa.
- Demonstrated ability to form, motivate and lead a diverse team to achieve results
- Proven capacity to represent your organization among a diverse range of stakeholders and to fundraise effectively
- Clear evidence of operations management and administration skills
- Strong diplomatic skills to support effective work with government, implementing partners and donors
- Prefer private sector experience in management consulting, agri-business and/or food processing, financial services or equivalent with strong entrepreneurial skills
- Strong analytical as well as oral and written communications skills a must
- Fluent reading, writing, speaking and computer literacy skills in English
- Good working knowledge of economic development, agricultural value chains and entrepreneurship promotion
Reports to: Regional Director for East Africa
Position Location: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania; requires moderate travel within Tanzania and internationally
To Apply: Please submit a; resume, cover letter, salary history, three references and the source by which you came to learn about this opportunity i.e. Economist, DevEx, Inside NGO, alumni networks etc., to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Place position title in the subject line. Please include all documents together. No phone calls please.