Job Position: Water Engineer
Line Manager: WASH Program Manager
Location: North Horr, Kenya
Duration: 12 months
Solidarites International is an international humanitarian aid organisation which provides assistance to populations who are victims of armed conflict or natural disaster.
For 30 years, Solidarites International has concentrated its action on meeting three vital needs: water, food and shelter. By carrying out emergency programmes, Solidarites International acquired experience and expertise in the fields of access to drinking water and sanitation.
The joint Kenya / Somalia mission started in March 2007 and includes 3 field offices in South Somalia (Bardera, Afmadow and Adaado) and 2 field offices in Kenya (Nairobi Informal Settlements and North Horr) where Solidarites International implements both WASH and Food Security interventions.
1/ Objective of the position
The Water Engineer is a key position which is responsible for all the technical aspects of the WASH program in the field. S/He will use technical expertise to assist the WASH Program Manager in the implementation of WASH activities.
The Water Engineer will be under the supervision of the WASH Program Manager who will be his or her line Manager and together with the WASH project manager will have functional links with the WASH technical advisor
3/ Keys responsibilities
NB: this list gives the framework of the responsibilities of this position but it is not exhaustive.
You may be asked to complete other duties.
- In liaison with the WASH Program Manager, participate in project assessments and design by providing technical inputs and recommendations on WASH activities.
- Work closely with the WASH Program Manager to complete detailed activity plans, technical reports and other sector reports for the project.
- In liaison with the WASH Program manager spear-head technical implementation of WASH activities, including construction/rehabilitation of spring and abstraction water distribution systems, shallow wells, school and household latrines.
- In liaison with the WASH Program manager take full lead in the field to prepare appropriate designs and detailed bill of quantities (BOQs) for all the WASH constructions activities.
- Supervise and ensure technical quality in construction of all Water and Sanitation structures, ensuring good maintenance and sustainable processes are put in place.
- Monitor and ensure proper use of materials in the field in line with Bill of quantities and project designs.
- Ensure technical constructions/rehabilitations of water and sanitation structures is completed on time and high quality standards are maintained.
- Appropriately involve and maintain good relationship with the beneficiaries and local communities at all phases of the projects.
- Submit weekly technical reports to the WASH Program Manager.
- In liaison with the WASH Program manager, take full responsibility of training the field based WASH staff on technical and management skills.
- In liaison with the WASH Program manager ensure sectorial integration, learning and adoption of best practices as outlined in SPHERE guidelines and Solidarites technical guidelines.
- Contribute in the collection and reporting of relevant information about the general context, humanitarian situation and security to the WASH Program Manager.
- Ensure that program activities are implemented as per the project design, and in line with policies of the Government of Kenya and other relevant guidelines and standards.
- Review and advise the WASH Program Manager on the evolution of the program and events that require particular attention.
- Make technical suggestions that will improve the quality of the activities of the program
- Report other emerging WASH needs , to the Wash Program manager.
- In liaison with the WASH Program Manager, follow the laid down logistical procedures and ensure timely ordering, purchase and supply of requirements to the field.
4/ Required Qualifications
- A degree in Water Engineering or Civil Engineering
- At least one year working experience
- Working experience with communities will be an added advantage
- Working experience in ASAL areas will also be an added advantage.