Position: Deputy Director Think Tank
Program / Department Summary:
The Yes Youth Can initiative is a USAID program that focuses on building youth-owned, youth-led and youth-managed institutional arrangements and capabilities at both national and county levels.
General Position Summary:
The Deputy Director of Think Tank – “Yes Youth Can” will work under the direction of the Executive Director of the Think Tankand develops the Think Tank operations such that youth across Kenya are able to better understand the issues of Kenyan youth, inform policies, and use this information to advocate for better youth policies at the county, regional and national levels.
This person manages research grants; organizes seminars and draft and releases of policy briefs; liaises with the Think Tank Advisory Committee and United States International University; and keeps website up-to-date.
The Deputy Director provides systemic thinking on how to operationalize and construct operations of the Think Tank so that it is sustainable after the program closes.
Essential Job Functions:
Think Tank Operations
- Use the Operations Manual as a basis for setting up Think Tank systems, including financial, communication, and procurement
- Work closely with USIU and Mercy Corps staff to organize events seamlessly
- Updates website with relevant research, events, and related information
- With the Executive Director and USIU develop and implement a plan so that the Think Tank’s operations are shifted from MC to a youth-led, managed and organized entity.
- Identify key topics for youth-led research, in consultation with Think Tank Board of Directors, International Advisory Board and NYBA Advisory Committee.
- Draft and release RFAs for research grants in all regions
- Organize review committees based on the Operations Manual to select grant applicants
- Ensure awardees meet grant obligations on time and are financially compliant
- Organize seminars and talks at USIU and other venues on research that is relevant to youth policy
- Organize policy discussions/forums/town halls at the Regional and County level
- Work with Leadership Manager to help youth bunges organize advocacy campaigns
- Organize events with Leadership Manager between youth bunges and relevant legislators and Ministries.
- Maintain communication with the NYBA advisory board and CountyBunges
- Work with the Technology Team, to send SMS blasts to youth bunges on recent reports
- Work with the Communications Manager to release policy briefs to relevant news outlets
- Keep website up-to-date with relevant research, policy briefs and events
Reports To: Executive Director Think Tank
Knowledge and Experience:
- Experience conducting youth research in Kenya
- Experience with various research approaches (including quantitative, qualitative and participatory)
- Experience working with multiple stakeholders, including universities and government
- Advanced degree from a recognized college or university in social science. Each additional year of approved formal education may be substituted for one year of required work experience.
- Experience balancing multiple projects and deadlines.
- Experience influencing public policy
- Excellent event planning skills
- Demonstrated experience and skill in information analysis and writing comprehensive and high quality studies
- Familiarity with and a supportive attitude towards increasing youth voice in policy making
- Prior project management experience and strong organizational skills
- Excellent oral and written English skills
- At least 7 years of experience in research and working with multiple stakeholders, including universities and government
Interested candidates who meet the above required qualifications and experience should submit on or before 7th May, 2012 at 4.00 p.m. a cover letter, detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) listing three professional references (including a recent supervisor) to email@example.com
Applicants must clearly indicate on the email subject;“Application for the position of Deputy Director Think Tank”
Applications without this subject heading will be disqualified.
Please do not attach any certificates.
(ONLY Qualified short-listed candidates will be contacted)