The World Bank
Resource Management Officer
Local Term 2 year renewable Appointment
Location: Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania
The World Bank Country Office ¡n Tanzania is seeking to hire a seasoned professional to become its Resource Management Officer (RMO) based in Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania.
The Resource Management Officer is a member of the World Bank’s Resource Management Team recruited locally and posted in the World Bank’s Country Office (CO) in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
For day-to-day responsibilities,
- S/he reports to the World Bank Resident Country Director in Tanzania.
supervises the staff and functions of the Administration Unit, which is
responsible, among other things, for accounting, finance, office
technology, the information centre, human resource management, logistical
support for visiting missions, and business planning, monitoring, and
The technical affiliation for the Resource Management Officer is the Resource Management Family and
- S/he is mapped to the Africa Region’s Resource Management Team (AFTRM).
The Manager of AFTRM is responsible for technical and professional development and performance evaluation of the Resource Management Officer.
Duties and Accountabilities
(a). Programming, Planning, and Budgeting:
- Administers the Country Office Resource Management (RM) policies, oversees and coordinates the preparation of the work program to ensure compatibility with work priorities and objectives;
- Helps formulate unit resource allocations and monitors implementation of work program and budget through regular reviews;
- Provides oversight and effective reports for the monitoring of plans and programs dealing with all aspects of resource management (e.g. budget staffing, space, etc.);
- Ensures that final deliverables with respect to work programs and budgets are compatible with institutional priorities, objectives and guidelines;
- Prepares and makes presentations at seminars or retreats on planning and budgeting issues.
(b). Financial Accounting and Reporting:
- The RMO coordinates the financial reporting and accounting systems for the Country Office (CO). Takes the lead in the preparation of statutory and other financial reports, provides expert advice on accounting theory and practice, and on Bank financial and administrative policies and procedures in administrative expense related subject areas;
- Implements and monitors policies and procedures under accounting responsibilities, and from a business perspective, in the development of accounting systems.
(c). Financial Controls and Fiduciary Accountability:
- The RMO ensure that an adequate system of risk management is in place in the Country Office. Within the SAP framework, s/he implements and maintains adequate systems of internal controls over units’ financial transactions and business operations;
- Takes initiative to improve processes and approaches, demonstrating adaptability to changing priorities and innovative technical leadership.
(d) Cost Analysis and Monitoring Cost Effectiveness:
- The RMO initiates and conducts studies to improve cost effective utilization of program resources;
- Monitors and refines work program efficiency parameters and analyses impact of cost effectiveness and provides advice and solutions as required.
(e) Human Resources and Office Administration:
In addition to leading in the area of financial accounting and reporting;
- Manages the day-to-day human resource activities in the Country Office such as recruitment, salary and benefits administration, training activities, and professional development of locally recruited staff;
- Manages the relocation and logistical support to internationally recruited staff posted to the Country Office.
- Manages medical evacuations, security arrangements and emergency matters. This requires liaison with UN agencies and foreign consulates on security, passport and visa matters;
- Exercises significant team leadership, encourages and promotes team spirit within the RM team and coaches junior RM staff.
- A relevant advanced degree, preferably MA/MBA (e.g. Finance, Accounting, Business, Economics, etc.)
- OR a relevant Bachelor’s Degree plus an internationally recognized professional accounting qualification (e.g., CPA, CA, ACCA)
- OR completion of the RM Board-sponsored Supplementary Education Criteria Program (SEC).
- Minimum of 5-years experience in either administration, finance, or Operations at the World Bank, or in an international private or public sector setting.
- Understanding and knowledge of business planning, work programming, budgeting and financial management.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and COSO philosophy.
- Proven strong conceptual, analytical and evaluative skills.
- Sound knowledge of information management and communications technology.
Communications and Team Skills:
- High level of personal and professional integrity.
to function effectively as team leader in multi-disciplinary teams within
a matrix management environment.
Strong supervisory skills and ability to function well in a multi-cultural environment.
- Results-oriented personality with proven problem-solving skills.
- Strong communication skills with ability to prepare, present and discuss findings in written and oral form.
- Effective skills as an interlocutor in handling and facilitating client and inter-unit business relationships.
For the full position description and complete selection criteria, qualified candidates are requested to visit and submit an on-line application at www.worldbank.org/careers. Click on >employment opportunities >professional/ technical staff opportunities - current vacancies > job # 121189.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Closing date is 10th June 2012.
The World Bank Group is committed to achieving diversity in terms of gender, nationality, culture and educational background.
Individuals with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.