The Co-operative University College of Kenya, formerly Co-operative College of Kenya, was established through the Co-operative University College of Kenya Order, Legal Notice No. 161 of 4th November 2011 as a Constituent College of Jomo Kenyatta University ofAgriculture and Technology.
The University College aims at becoming a leading center of excellence for a globally competitive cooperative sector.
The University College is conveniently located approximately 20 km from Nairobi City Centre in the serenity of Karen suburbs, a very conducive environment for serious academic engagement and learning.
The University College Council seeks to appoint a suitable candidate to the position of the Principal.
Ref. CUCK/01/2012: Principal of College
The appointed pioneer Principal will be a dynamic, visionary and result-oriented person of high ethical standards, integrity and professionalism.
The Principal will have the overall mandate of establishing a strong academic, research and administrative foundation for the University College.
Duties and Responsibilities
As the Chief Executive of the University College, the Principal will be the academic, research and administrative Head of the College working under the direction of the Council with the following duties and responsibilities:
- Have overall responsibility on the direction, organization and the administration of academic programs of the University College;
- Promote development of the cooperative movement and maintain national, regional and international linkages with related agencies;
- Promote industrialization through the cooperative culture;
- Coordinate the development and implementation of the academic and administrative policies of the University College in accordance with the University Master Plan and Strategic Plan;
- Maintain efficiency and good order of the University College and ensure proper enforcement of the Statutes and other College Regulations;
- Provide innovative and creative leadership in the areas of finance, human resource, planning and infrastructural development, students’ affairs management and community linkages;
- Play a key role in the facilitation and maintenance of linkages with the cooperative movement, government, regulatory agencies and other local/international institutions of higher learning;
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by the University College Council from time to time.
- Be holders of a PhD and be a Professor orAssociate Professor ¡n areas of cooperative management and organization development, agricultural economics, business and entrepreneurship;
- In view of the unique nature of this University, a PhD holder with more than 15 years’ experience in co-operative development and management will be considered;
- Be well published and academic leaders ¡n their areas of specialization OR demonstrate ability to produce results;
- Have at least ten (1 0) years of academic and research experience at senior level and possess demonstrated capacity for leadership in an academic and/or research institution or corporate;
- Be familiar with national, regional and global current trends of policies governing higher education;
- Demonstrate ability to plan,develop and implement academic programs and institutional linkages;
- Be registered with, and active members of professional associations in their areas of specialization where applicable;
- Have excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills;
- Demonstrate ability in fundraising, resource mobilization and fund management.
Terms & Conditions of Service
The successful candidate for the position will be offered a competitive remuneration package, including house allowance, medical benefits, gratuity and other benefits in accordance with the University College terms of service.
The appointment will be for a contractual period of five (5) years renewable once subject to satisfactory performance.
Applicants should submit detailed curriculum vitae, copies of certificates, e-mail addresses, and telephone contacts with their applications. In addition, provide contact details of three referees to the address below quoting the Reference number, on or before 7th November 2012.
Three (3) hard copies of application and I soft copy in a CD should be submitted in sealed envelope dearly marked with the position reference number to:
The Co-operative University College of Kenya,
P.O. Box 24814-00502,
Electronic applications should be submitted as PDF attachment to:
All shortlisted candidates shall be required to have clearance certificates from Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission(EAEC), Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA), Criminal Investigation Department (CID), Credit Reference Bureau and Higher Education Loans Board (HELB). Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The Co-operative University College of Kenya Is an equal opportunity employer