Save the Children is a leading international child rights organization, fighting to improve the lives of children around the world.
Together with children, we are helping to build a better world for present and future generations by making a reality of children’s rights.
Save the Children in Kenya works in the North Eastern Province (Dadaab, Wajir and Mandera) with Programmes in Child Protection, Nutrition, Livelihoods and Health.
We are seeking a qualified candidates to fill the position of WASH Engineer to be based in our Mandera office. This is a 4 months fixed term contract.
Under the supervision of the Area Manager, the WASH Engineer will be directly involved in ensuring that all WASH interventions are implemented in a timely, qualitative manner and as per construction standards.
- Work closely with the WASH Coordinator and WASH Technicians to construct the most appropriate new WASH systems or rehabilitation of existing systems as highlighted in the proposals and WASH assessment reports.
- Liaise closely with the government line ministries throughout the implementation stages of the WASH activities.
- Provide technical supervision on WASH activities at the field office and ensure quality technical implementation.
- Conduct technical WASH assessments and utilizing the findings in activity planning and overall programming.
- Ensure quality of WASH materials delivered by suppliers is of high standard.
- Provide support supervision to WASH technicians and the hygiene promotion team to implement high quality WASH interventions.
- Enhance WASH programme integration with other Save the Children programmes.
- Facilitate and coordinate WASH trainings to beneficiaries and partners in the field location.
- Participate as part of the rapid response team in the event of emergency in the Save the Children programme areas.
- Compile timely and accurate WASH related reports feeding into the area/national monthly and quarterly reports as well as donor reports.
- In conjunction with the finance department, ensure proper forecasting and follow up of all WASH related budgets at the field office
- In conjunction with the logistics department, ensure timely delivery of equipment and materials necessary for implementation of WASH interventions.
- Participate in WASH coordination meetings.
- A university degree in Water and Sanitation Engineering or Public health engineering with strong understanding of project management is a mandatory educational requirement.
- At least two years’ practical experience and demonstrable expertise in construction of water and sanitation systems especially in arid situations in the NGO set up. It is desirable that some of this should have been in emergency relief programmes and/or in ASAL districts
- Demonstrable experience in development and interpretation of Bills of Quantities, working drawings and civil works supervision.
- The ability to present concise reports, sometimes at short notice, reflecting the problems and possible solutions for particular situations.
- Excellent computer skills are a must and understanding of Engineering and GIS software is desirable.
- Diplomacy, tact and administrative skills in order to work with people at managerial level and government staff.
- The incumbent should also be at ease in working with local people and have the ability to manage cultural sensitivities.
- Proven capacity to supervise, train and coach staff and communities on WASH systems.
- Prepared to live and work in an uncertain security environment
- Ability and willingness to travel and stay in the field
- Well-developed interpersonal and team skills and a proven ability to be flexible in demanding situations.
- Good written and spoken English.
If you meet the above requirements, please send a cover letter and your detailed CV indicating your current salary with current contacts of three referees including immediate supervisor addressed to:
The Recruiting Manager, Save the Children, Kenya Programme email: firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 6th July, 2012.
Quote the job title on the subject line.
Due to the urgency to fill this position, shortlisting will be done as CVs are received.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Save the Children recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to equal employment opportunities and the protection of children from abuse.