Human Resource and Administration Officer
The Kenya Human Rights Commission (KHRC) is a Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO) founded in 1992 with the Vision of working towards entrenching human rights and democratic values in Kenya and a Mission of working towards a human rights state and society.
Our approach and strategies are based on the very belief in the human rights corpus and the Rights Based Approach as the basis for the preservation of human dignity, human security and human development.
KHRC seeks to recruit a dynamic, well organized, highly motivated, confident and results oriented individual to be a Human Resource and Administration Officer based in Nairobi, Kenya on 2 year renewable contract.
Reports to: Finance & Administration Manager/Executive Director
Purpose of the Job
To provide expertise in all aspects of the human resources and administration functions by ensuring the availability of a competent and well-motivated staff.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
HR Strategy Formulation and Implementation
- Implement HR strategies focusing on achievement of the required results;
- Review and update KHRC HR policies and procedures
- Co-ordinate the interpretation and implementation of KHRC HR policies and procedures;
Organisational change management
- Assist in the design and implementation of organizational change processes needed to achieve organizational goals;
Recruitment, Training and Performance Management
- Assist in staff acquisition which will involve HR planning, recruitment, selection, placement and induction with a focus on diversity;
- Co-ordinate staff performance evaluation;
- Support staff training , development, and motivational programmes;
- Fostering a workplace environment consistent with the organization’s mission,vision and values;
- Assist in promoting staff discipline
Payroll and Leave Management
- Manage staff payroll
- Manage HR data such as leave planning and administration, maintenance of HR records for all staff and to ensure proper documentation is kept;
- Assist in ensuring KHRC’s compliance with all national legal and statutory requirements for the management of its HR resources;
Operations and Administration
- Personal Assistant to the Executive Director
- Assisting in identification and supervision of related services as per contract (Food, Medical, Pension, HR system, etc)
- Manage the administration email account of the Commission
- Providing administrative support to the, Deputy Executive Director, FM and the Management Committee in general
- Preparing and overseeing implementation and prompt filing of all the minutes/ correspondences relating to programmes meetings; scheduling programmes meetings and donor meetings; organizing operational planning process among other major institutional events where Management Committee is coordinating etc.
- Supervising cleaning, security and maintenance of grounds.
- Manage tenancy services by ensuring a work friendly office environment;
Qualifications, Experience and Skills
- A Bachelors degree in Human Resource, social science, business administration or its equivalent from a recognized university;
- A higher diploma in human resources management and administration
- A minimum 4 years of related experience, one of which must be from an NGO;
- Good practical understanding of human resource functions, preferably in the NGO sector;
- Understanding of human resource reporting and record keeping requirements;
- Working knowledge of HRMIS
- Up to date knowledge of national and international labour laws governing employment;
- Understanding of and commitment to human and labour rights
- Self-motivated, organized, collegial and ability to work well under pressure;
- Willing to take initiative and work independently with minimal supervision;
- Ability to resolve conflicts;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including ability to prepare minutes promptly
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, tact and discretion when dealing with people.
Applicants should send a cover letter attaching a detailed C.V., photocopies of certificates and testimonials, current telephone/mobile numbers, names and addresses of three (3) referees and a statement of present and expected gross salary before end of the day, July 20th, 2012: -
The Executive Director
Kenya Human Rights Commission
Valley Arcade, Gitanga Road
P.O. Box 41079
00100 (GPO) - NAIROBI
All applications should be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org OR HAND DELIVERED in a sealed envelope marked with the position being applied for.
The KHRC is an equal opportunity employer and will seek to recruit the most qualified person for the job irrespective of race, color, marital status, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation or nationality. All qualified persons are encouraged to apply.
Canvassing will automatically lead to disqualification.
Only successful candidates will be contacted