The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI): The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) works at the crossroads of livestock and poverty, bringing high-quality livestock science, communications and capacity building to bear on poverty reduction and sustainable development. ILRI is one of 15 centres supported by the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). ILRI has campuses in Kenya (headquarters) and Ethiopia, with other offices located in other regions of Africa (Mali, Mozambique, and Nigeria) as well as in South Asia (India, Sri Lanka), Southeast Asia (Laos, Thailand, and Vietnam) and East Asia (China).
ILRI seeks to recruit an Assistant Cook. Reporting to the Food Production Supervisor, the job holder will be required to prepare and cook food for ILRI staff and visitors using specified standards of cooking as required.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assisting the cooks in the execution of the duties and carrying out the duties assigned by the chef.
- Carrying out any food preparation or production as assigned by the Head Chef.
- Ensure a clean work station during and after food production.
- Deboning and repacking of meat cuts for production or storage.
- Work over weekends as per duty rota.
- Ensure food to be served at the cafeteria is ready on time.
- Carry out prior food preparation to ensure production is efficient.
- Serve food at the cafeteria within the set potions.
- Report back any customer feedback to the chef.
- Ensure all food handling & production is done hygienically as per set standards.
- Carry out any other tasks as assigned by the chef.
- The Maintenance and care of all equipment within his/her work area.
- Maintaining personal hygiene as per set standards.
- Ensure buffet setup is done on time.
- Being creative and flexible to improve on existing recipes and introduce new recopies with the guidance from the chef.
Qualifications and requirements
- Diploma or certificate in food production
- Minimum 2 years experience in a reputable institution.
Post location: This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position based at ILRI’s Nairobi campus and is open to Kenyan nationals only.
Duration: The position is on a 2-year contract renewable subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funding.
Job level and salary : This position is job level 1B and starting salary is KES 32,000 per month. This is exclusive of other benefits provided within ILRI’s National Recruited Staff Scheme.
Applications addressed to the Human Resources Director, a cover letter, curriculum vitae and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience should be emailed to: recruit-ilri-Ken@cgiar.org by 6 February 2011.
The position title and reference number “ASSISTANT COOK: AC/FO/01/11” should be clearly marked on the subject line of the email applications. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
To find out more about ILRI, visit www.ilri.org.