Contract type: Open-ended
Level: OI CD Level 1
Level: OI CD Level 1
Salary Range: USD. 55,900 – 70,720 net (take home pay) Oxfam will meet the tax and social securityliabilities of the post holder, in relation to Oxfam’s employment.
Benefits: Globally competitive benefits.
We are looking for an exceptional, strategic leader with a passion for Oxfam’s work to head Oxfam International’s large and complex programme in the South Sudan.
Oxfam has had a long history in South Sudan through its various affiliates. Working through an operational presence and indirectly through partners, the affiliates are now working in seven of the country’s ten states.
Sectors covered include humanitarian preparedness and response, education, public health (WASH), food security and livelihoods, finance and skills transfer for small businesses, and strengthening civil society.
Gender is mainstreamed through programmes and women are the target of a number of the programmes under implementation.
The various affiliates work together towards a commonly agreed strategy and are represented by an Oxfam International Country Director, supported by Associate Country Directors.
Oxfam GB has been selected as the managing affiliate in Sudan whereas Oxfam Novib and Oxfam Intermon are implementing affiliates Oxfam is therefore seeking a Country Director to lead, develop, and represent the Oxfam family in South Sudan.
- Reporting to the Deputy Regional Director in Nairobi, you will – together with the two Associate Country Directors– lead, develop and represent Oxfam International’s programme in the South Sudan.
- You will be accountable to a regional governance board of Oxfam International for the implementation of the agreed common country strategy (app. GBP. 10.8m.
- You will chair the Oxfam International Country Leadership team, and ensure a constructive and productive working relationship amongst the Oxfam affiliates.
- You will look for ways to cooperate more closely in the Oxfam family, realise cost efficiencies, a common monitoring and evaluation system, as well as a common funding strategy, and you will make sure you are respectful of different affiliates’ cultures and history.
- In addition, while the two other affiliates will continue to manage their country programmes in accordance with the common strategy, you will have direct line responsibility for the management, development, and implementation of Oxfam GB’s part of the programme.
- You will ensure that appropriate systems are in place to manage the significant security, brand, financial, and administrative risk in South Sudan.
- You will ensure good relations with donors and will represent Oxfam at high level towards government, UN specialised agencies, other NGOs, as well as local partners and the media.
- You are an exceptional leader committed to Oxfam values and to the success of the Oxfam International
- Your outstanding analytical skills enable you to constantly adapt to an ever-changing context.
- You have proven strategic and operational capacities in highly complex environments.
- You have worked at least seven years in developing countries and have assumed, at least during two years, senior management functions.
- You can demonstrate very strong people management skills and an interest in staff health and safety, as well as national staff development.
- You are used to multi-cultural environments and have a strong commitment to issues such as gender and HIV/AIDS.
- You are not foreign to distance management, and you have the necessary diplomatic skills to facilitate a good working relationship within the Oxfam family.
- You are highly creative and adaptable.
- You are a self-starter and a fast-learner.
- You can also communicate in English with a wide range of audiences.
- Previous experience in South Sudan context would be appreciated.
This is a highly challenging opportunity for a dedicated and highly motivated professional, with a strong commitment to Oxfam's values and beliefs.
If you believe you are the candidate we are looking for, please submit your application online at www.oxfam.org.uk/jobs using REF 5562.
The closing date: 23 July 2012.
We are committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organization.